If you are an avid bird hunter, at one time or another, your dog will encounter a skunk in the field. Now what do you do? Well, this month we are going to discuss just what to do if that happens. First, I am going to give you a formula for cleaning your dog. Then we will describe how to apply the solution on your dog.
1 quart 3% hydrogen peroxide
¼ cup baking soda
2 teaspoons liquid soap
1 quart lukewarm water
IMPORTANT: Once you mix the hydrogen peroxide with the baking soda, it is no longer stable! You cannot store it in a bottle, as it will explode from the oxygen created by the reaction of the peroxide and baking soda. Make only as much remedy as you can use at one time.
1. Mix 1 quart hydrogen peroxide, ¼ cup baking soda, and 2 teaspoons liquid soap in 1 quart of lukewarm water.
2. Wear rubber gloves during the application.
3. Do not pre-rinse the dog with water. Apply solution to the affected area, thoroughly massaging it into the dog’s coat. Use a sponge or wash cloth.
4. Make sure the solution does not get into your dog’s eyes.
5. Leave the solution on the dog for 3-4 minutes. Do not leave on for longer than that. 6. Rinse dog with fresh water.
7. Repeat the process if odor continues to linger.
If your dog was wearing a leather collar, throw it away, as the odor will remain in the leather no matter how many times you soak it. You will need to soak your plastic type and e-collars several times to remove the odor. Make sure your e-collar is waterproof before you soak it.
Good luck and we will see you again next month!
CJ & Shawnee